Wednesday 14 October 2009

Feedback from Industry Practitioners.

I e-mailed David O'Neill, a director i met recently, and asked him what he thought. this is what he said.
Hi Tim

Wow! love the band, they're great. Good find.

As far as the video is concerned, its a live performance film, shot in a studio environment which is familiar territory, so you expect it to be quite straightforward/raw and about the music. The lighting is dark and moody which gives it atmosphere. the guy with the white shirt is overlit though and when you cut to him it breaks the mood a little. there is a moment where you see a white plug in a socket which catches the eye, but otherwise its all fine. Good to see some more close ups of hands on guitars etc. I'd throw in a bit more of that if you've got it, as the camera movement and frame size is a little repetitive.

The lead singer is so key to the bands identity, that I wanted to read a bit more in his face, so I'd have given him a little more light. I've seen a lot of films like this, and to be honest, its about selling the band. If the band is shit the video won't keep me there, but they're great, a bit like early Cure, so I wanted to hear the whole thing. Their next step is to find a way of getting people to be more excited about them, which is about stage performance/personality and style/image.

Dx

No comments:

Post a Comment